1.The Englishman’s Route (Engelskmannsveien)
A trail from the Hamna farm to Hifjellvatnet lake.
The Englishman’s Route was originally built for English lords hunting stag in the area. This is a nice gravel road that fits visitors of all ages and is baby carriage-friendly. The trail goes through a pine forest and among beautiful inland lakes. It also leads to one of the posts of the local guide test (Kjentmannsprøve) called «Bjønnhiet». Bjønnhiet is a dry cave facing the south at the feet of the Hifjellet mountain on Hamnamarka. It is situated in the pinewood and can be a bit hard to find due to high junipers in the area. In order to find the cave, follow the road almost until the Hifjellvatnet lake. Stay on the east and south side of the lake until you cross the creek. Next, go in the direction of the steep side of the mountain in the south. The local guide post is located in the cave. The closest parking lot by Hamn.
Hamna marina is located in the center of Akset by the Hamna farm.
The marina is situated by the boathouse on the Hamn farm. The marina has one guest slot in addition to the slots that are being rented. The parking lot right by the marina.
This shipping lane lighthouse is located in the Trondheimsleia strait on the Terningen island between the mainland and Hitra at the entrance to the Hemnefjord. The lighthouse is situated exactly halfway between Kristiansund and Trondheim, 4 km from the express boat terminal on the Jøsnøya island. The Terningen lighthouse was established in 1833 as the 5th public lighthouse in Norway. The lighthouse was originally located at the top on the island but was moved in 1923 to its present location. In the past, the families of the lighthouse keeper and his assistant lived here. The families kept livestock and shared a barn. In more recent times, a shift-work system with 3 lighthouse keepers was introduced.
In 1991, the lighthouse was automated and unmanned. In 2001, the Hitra municipality leased the whole island except for the lighthouse and the engine house to the Norwegian Coastal Administration. Hitra municipality delegated the responsibility for the maintenance of the lighthouse to Terningen’s Friends. The association rents out the lighthouse keeper’s house and boat and does the maintenance work voluntarily. There is a fine floating pier for general use outside the boathouse on the eastern side of the island.
Terningen provides exciting nature and outdoor experiences. The ship traffic goes right by. There is a local guide test post by the entrance to the courtyard of the lighthouse. The lighthouse station is a good place to spend the night and has 24 places to sleep. The visitors dispose of a fully equipped kitchen, 2 living rooms, outdoor sitting areas, a charcoal grill and a WC in the outhouse. The freshwater at the lighthouse is gathered from the roofs.
A 16 feet aluminum motorboat with a new 30hp engine is available for rent. The boat is docked at the marina in Hamn/Akset. There is parking space here. Visit www.terningenfyr.no for more information.
Ramfjellet is located by Akset, about 6 km from Sandstad (road Fv 714 / Fv 713). A logging road that stretches from the Fv 714 to the pylon on the Ramfjellet mountain. Ramfjellet is 166 meter high and has a beautiful view on the Trondheimsleia strait. It is easy to see Ramfjellet due to a pylon on the top. The hiking trail stretches from the bus zone to Ramfjellet for about 2,2 km. Alternatively, you can start from the parking lot by Gammelveien and walk southwest for about 1 km, and, next, turn to the right up to Ramfjellet (about 2,6 km). Good logging road through a dense pine forest some parts of the way. A 300 m steep ascent to the top. Local guide test (Kjentmannsprøve). Closest parking lot by the bus zone at the Fv 713.
5.The Old Route (Gammelveien)
A trail that stretches from Myrvang (Akset) to the transformer station in Fillan. Gammelveien was built as a post road from Hamna to Hopsjøen in 1849/50 and was closed in 1962. This is the first proper road in the island region in Sør Trøndelag. The road was originally 30 kilometers long. Today, about 8 kilometers of the road are preserved, from Akset to Lakselva river. Before becoming a county road, it was divided into parts and each farm had an obligation to upkeep their part of the road. After the Gammelvei Association took over the responsibility for the road in 1992, they renovated it, setting up new ditches, gravel and signs with location names. A nice trail with many beautiful lakes, bridges and interesting sites. You can get a map with location names and information about the trail at the tourist office. The gravel road is suitable for all age groups and for baby carriages. You can have a rest along the way at one of the many resting places with tables and benches. A ski track is made in the winter when there is enough snow. Local guide test’s post by «Kvilarrommet».
To get to Gammelveien, take the Fv. 714 from Fillan in the southern direction and take the fist exit to the right/to the west after Lakselva river. Parking lot by the boom gate. You can also start the route in Akset. Exit the F 714 in Sandstad and drive the Fv 713 for about 5 km. Turn right/to the north to reach the beginning of Gammelveien. There is a parking lot after about 600 m.
6.Hitra golf course
Hitra golf course is located on Sagaflata between Sandstad and Akset. The golf course is a 9-hole course situated in the beautiful natural landscape and overlooking the Trondheimsleia strait. There is a clubhouse by the course. The golf course regularly hosts golf championships. You can use the course as outlined on the club’s website http://www.hitragolf.no/.
Parking lot by the clubhouse.
Terningsvatnet lake is located about 3 km from the exit to Forsnes off the FV 714. Terningsvatnet is an excellent destination that the visitors of all ages will enjoy. There is a bathing beach there, a fishing spot, tables and benches. Follow the signs from the main road. Exit from the FV 713. The parking lot is about 5o meters from the main road. From here you walk to the lake.
Sandstad stadium including a sports hall and the clubhouse of the weightlifters’ club is located along the FV 713 to Forsnes, about 2 km from the exit off the FV 714. The Sandstad stadium has a grass football field and a track and field facility. The sports hall is also used as an assembly building. Find out more on Sandstad IL’s Facebook page https://nb-no.facebook.com/SandstadIL/.
Hitra weightlifters’ club have their own weightlifter house right by the track and field facility. Visit the club’s Facebook page for more information about their activities https://nb-no.facebook.com/hitraVK/
There is a parking lot right by the stadium.
Sandstad lighted ski track
9.Sandstad sports club – Lighted ski trail
The lighted ski trail is located by the splitting of the Fv 714 and the Fv 713 by Mesta’s repair station in Sandstad. The trail is about 1,6 km long – medium difficulty level. When the weather conditions are good, the sports club makes ski tracks on the trail. Follow the Facebook side of the Sanstad ski club. There is a parking lot right by the ski trail on the area of the repair station on the east side of the garages.
Sandstad marina is located on Kalvøya island and can be reached by exiting the FV 714 by the gas station. Sandstad Boat Association runs the marina. The association disposes of 89 boat slots and counts about 120 members. There is also a guest pier with 4 guest slots. The price for rent is kr 100,- per day including electricity. Visitors can use sanitary and laundry facilities in marina’s clubhouse. Go to the boat association’s home page for more information http://sandstadbf.blogspot.no/ Parking lot by the marina.
Sandstad church is located in Sandstad on the intersection of the FV713 and the FV 341. The Sandstad church is situated in the Sandstad parish of the Orkdal deanery. Sandstad church was consecrated on July 11th, 1888. The church was built based to the same plans that had been used for the Hallaren church on Frøya seven years earlier. This wooden church was built in 1888. This is a long church with 350 seats. The church was built on the Sandstad farm’s plot and the cultural center of the village was moved here together with the church.
In 1909, the county road between Børøysund and Hamn was opened. This facilitated travelling, among others to the church. Those who owned horses started to travel to the church by horses and carioles. Those who did not, or had no access to road had to travel by boat. There is a monument commemorating the local wartime sailors in the church’s graveyard.
Parking lot by the church.
12.The Coastal Museum (Kystmuseet)
The coastal museum has a department in the terminal building on the Jøsnøya island, where you can visit an exhibition about aquaculture.
The exhibition tells a story of Ægir, Ran and their nine daughters. You can learn about the pioneers of the farming business, contemporary production methods and the future of aquaculture. The exhibition presents the history of aquaculture in an objective and value-neutral way using models, objects and multimedia. The museum tour also includes a visit at a grow-out facility. For more information about the aquaculture exhibition, please go to: https://kystmuseet.no/havbruksutstilling. Access from the FV714. Exit on the roundabout by the tunnel. Parking lot outside the building.
13.The Salmon Route (Laksestien)
A trail that stretches from the east to the south of Jøsnøya island by Kuholmen. The route starts by Hitra traffic terminal in Sandstad. Follow the road along the Hitra harbor above the entrance to the Hitra tunnel. When you enter the road to Hitra industrial park west, turn right. Next, turn left to the Salmon Route. Follow the tourist trail until you reach the area above Hitra industrial park west. The trail ends here. Continue on the path across the island to the island’s southern tip by Kuholmen. Take the same way back to the departure point.
The Salmon Route leads along Hitra’s largest industrial areas: Hitra industrial park east (Kalvøya), Hitra traffic terminal, Hitra coastal harbor and Hitra industrial park west (Jøsnøya).
Parking lot by Hitra traffic terminal in Sandstad.
Aunøya island is located in Sandstad, nearby the Hitra tunnel and the coastal harbor in Hitra on the Jøsnøya island. Aunøya and the small surrounding islands form a nationally protected recreational area and a natural beauty spot stretching on about 560 decare. The island has a cozy harbor, a bathing beach, a costal coniferous forest, cultivated land and remainings of a historical garden with impressive trees. The local guide post is located by Storlønna. Aunøya has a long history of people’s activity going back to 3000 years ago. The island was one of the largest trade centers in Ytre Fosen and had a guesthouse, a fishery, stockfish production, an assembly site for the village’s thing and active agriculture up until more recent times. In 1830, there were 30 registered inhabitants on Aunøya. Today, the Aunøya Foundation disposes of the island and the buildings. The island also serves as a recreational area. A two-level farmhouse has 9 rooms and facilities of good standard. Please contact the Aunøya Foundation (Stiftelsen Aunøya) for booking. Access by sea via a renovated quay with a nice floating pier located in a cozy bay. The quay and the floating pier in the bay by the boathouse are open for public use. The farmhouse is about 70 m up from the bay.
15.Strandavatnet lake and Fuggelåsen
In Sandstad, north of the Grønnbakken residential area. There is a network of roads in the area tied to the water purifying plant by Strandavatnet lake. The road from the parking lot splits after about 500 m from the boom gate. One road goes northwest down to Strandavatnet lake by the water purifying facility. The second one goes north to the dam on the northeast side of the lake. The third road goes northeast up to the service reservoirs and the local guide post on Fuggelåsen. The network of roads has a total length of about 2 km. The local guide post on Fuggelåsen has a beautiful view of Aure and Hemne in the south, the Snillfjord in the southeast and Ørland and Bjugn with Kopparen mountain in the east and northeast.
Take the exit to the left from the Fv 341 to Strandavatnet lake, about 800 m from Grønnbakken in the direction of Hestvika, at the top of the Vollaåsen hill. Drive about 400 m, parking lot by the boom gate.